> Final Cut Studio 2, Announced yesterday at NAB
JohnnyTrio
post Apr 16 2007, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 488

It's here!

Yay!

Apple skipped a release last year, letting us Final Cut Studio users simmer in our own envy as the Adobe Production Suite reined down hellfire on our fandom.

Some much needed upgrades are here for serious video producers.

Looks like further HD support and interoperability with multiple clip settings have turned FCP into a giant "easy" button.

Not so much an issue with Machinima, but in real world production (especially low budget) you may have a mismatching cameras or formats.

Motion 3(D) breaks into the third dimension! Particles, replicators, lights, and cameras all have 3D properties.

After Effect particles are strictly 2D - you need Particular for 3D particles (see DWP's awesome Matrix shot).

Motion 3 works in real time - no ram previews.

This is a godsend for tight deadlines and quick turnarounds that are found in high stress production environments (The news or other live events).

Although, don't be fooled, you're going to need a massive rig to work with the 20 4k HD video windows that orbit around each other then explode...

I can see the 3D particles working well for Machinima, but they're far from new news (Particular) - working in real-time could help those machinimators that don't like to plan each shot exactly.

Motion is by no means a replacement for After Effects - the industry heavyweight is a standard at almost every production house I've ever seen (in combination with Autodesk Smoke & Flame).

Soundtrack 2 is hyping 5.1 Surround mixing - pretty neat stuff.

The price of the entire studio upgrade ($500) that includes Soundtrack 2's 1000 royalty free SFX and loops is worth it just for the loops (speaking generally, a good set of loops alone MSRPs for $250)

Soundtrack is starting to match the audio repair features already found in Adobe Audition.

Apple's Color is a brand new app for the Suite, and looks just as powerful as a mid/high end color correction rigs.

This program looks pretty fun - you can work with color like you've never been able to with a standard 3 way color correct filter.

Compressor 3 is awesome too... if Quicktime was the universal movie standard of all time.

A new set of compressing codecs is more headache than anything - making sure everyone is on the same codec, the latest version, etc. is a nightmare for long distance review sessions.

DVD Studio Pro 4 is still a dream.

It's as simple or as complicated as you want to be. Nothing except the usual HD additions and tighter integration with the rest of the studio.

All in all, even at full price $1200, these programs are worth it. Their ability to stand alone or supplement your current workflow make them overall more valuable tool for the production minded than the Machinima artist.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ahato360
post Aug 2 2008, 01:10 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,545

I like everything about Final Cut Studio, except its price.

I guess it might be a reasonable price being Final Cut Studio comes with like 7 programs.

+Quote Post
ahato360
post Oct 7 2008, 12:28 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,545

I think it's the best price for a video editing, yea the base price is the most expensive of other programs but, for adobe it costs like 299 to upgrade, Apple gives free upgrades. Final Cut Studio 2 does have like 7 programs so thats about $186 (rounded up) per program.

Also, i'm on a mac and Final Cut is the most mac-friendly (of course, being made by apple) video program(s)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th November 2019 - 06:04 PM| Skin Developed By Creative Networks