> VA Tech
VaudeVillian
post Apr 16 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 484

:-\
whats wrong with people these days?!
my heart to all the families and friends..

as of now, 31 dead, and 29 injured. this is horrible!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oxhorn
post Apr 16 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15

Ugh, what sort of selfish-emo-loser would do such a thing? We had a shooting at my college last week. An estranged boyfriend came into the architecture building and shot his ex, then turned the gun on himself. What a bunch of whiny, self-absorbed brats. Life is tough, get over it and stop killing people. ERG.

--------------------

"There aint no creature in the land or sea quite as dear to me as the great kodo!"

+Quote Post
TheGodfather
post Apr 16 2007, 07:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (poae @ Apr 16 2007, 08:06 PM) *
i heard that story. apparently she was trying to get a restraining order on him but couldn't because no one could find him. :(

natural disasters rampant, violence is rising..... insanity.

my prayers with the world also.

meh

Not to down the idea however... Comparatively.. who is to say Natural Disasters are rising? What is the norm level for an amount of natural disasters and when did we have that median to recall from. Violence is rising in the terms of United States? or in the terms of the world? Insanity.. Well obviously in order to do the what was stated by the OP yes you have to be insane..

+Quote Post
Darjk
post Apr 16 2007, 09:11 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 456

QUOTE (Tristan @ Apr 17 2007, 05:31 AM) *
meh

Not to down the idea however... Comparatively.. who is to say Natural Disasters are rising? What is the norm level for an amount of natural disasters and when did we have that median to recall from. Violence is rising in the terms of United States? or in the terms of the world? Insanity.. Well obviously in order to do the what was stated by the OP yes you have to be insane..

I agree with Tristan to a degree or atleast in relation to Natural Disasters. I do however find the level of violence in the US quite... shocking atleast compared locally. Granted you have a much higher population, but then you could use that comparison for India/China and say that someone there should be going on a massacre rampage atleast once a month or something.

*shrug*

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheGodfather
post Apr 16 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Darjk @ Apr 16 2007, 10:11 PM) *
I agree with Tristan to a degree or atleast in relation to Natural Disasters. I do however find the level of violence in the US quite... shocking atleast compared locally. Granted you have a much higher population, but then you could use that comparison for India/China and say that someone there should be going on a massacre rampage atleast once a month or something.

*shrug*

Then again look at the judicial system in India and China. I wouldn't break the law either.

+Quote Post
Romily
post Apr 16 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 499

What's sad is how much pain people that do that sort of thing must be in. And then they "share" it... But why? What is so bad in their lives that it drives them to do something like that?? I just can't even imagine... How could it have been prevented?

And is violence really rising? Or are we just that much more aware of it because our technology allows us to learn within 2-5 minutes about a disaster that has happened halfway around the country (or even the world)? Watch the news - how many positive things do they talk about, percentage-wise? How much is the news (TV, papers, etc.) skewing a negative/positive slant or reality? What impact, if any, does that have?

I dunno... *shakes head*

--------------------

+Quote Post
VaudeVillian
post Apr 16 2007, 11:33 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Romily @ Apr 16 2007, 03:27 PM) *
What's sad is how much pain people that do that sort of thing must be in. And then they "share" it... But why? What is so bad in their lives that it drives them to do something like that?? I just can't even imagine... How could it have been prevented?

And is violence really rising? Or are we just that much more aware of it because our technology allows us to learn within 2-5 minutes about a disaster that has happened halfway around the country (or even the world)? Watch the news - how many positive things do they talk about, percentage-wise? How much is the news (TV, papers, etc.) skewing a negative/positive slant or reality? What impact, if any, does that have?

I dunno... *shakes head*

it's simply getting worse.
for god only knows what reason.

but this is now labeled as the worst single shooter incident in the U.S. history.
i love how the media flaunts it much like a competition.
-.-

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheGodfather
post Apr 16 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Romily @ Apr 17 2007, 12:27 AM) *

I dunno... *shakes head*

Canadian news vs US news... Do the math

+Quote Post
Romily
post Apr 16 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (VaudeVillian @ Apr 16 2007, 07:33 PM) *
-.-

Y'know... There are a lot of lonely, competitive people out there...

There are many times when I find the media (hell, a lot of corporate entities for that matter) being irresponsible in the name of the almighty $$. I was getting sick of hearing about Imus but I'd rather have that back than this...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Thundara
post Apr 16 2007, 11:47 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 170

QUOTE (VaudeVillian @ Apr 16 2007, 04:33 PM) *

People like to hear about lives more interesting than their own.

+Quote Post
VaudeVillian
post Apr 17 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Thundara @ Apr 16 2007, 03:47 PM) *
People like to hear about lives more interesting than their own.

to tell the story of someones life...or to say "WE HAVE A NEW WINNAR ON THE MOST KILLINGS! WHO IS GUNNA TRY NEXT?!?!?!?!!?!?!!?" are completely different in my book.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oxhorn
post Apr 17 2007, 04:48 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 15

I don't think that violence is rising in the US. We are at an age now where our society is more shocked by violence than it ever has been before. It used to be a way of life; now, we are so blessed in this country that when we see someone get killed, we are shocked. But go back even to the 30's, during the Great Depression, when mob violence was far worse than it is today, when the majority of people in the US were out of work and desperate, and you will find violence then too, just as much, if not more than, there is today.

The simple fact is that there are evil people in this world, and while there will always be good people who have self restraint and value life, there will likewise be evil people who are selfish, pitiful attention-whores and who value life only to the extent that it can focus attention on them. This is how we get people like the Green River Killer, who only see life as existing to give them an orgasm.

This is why mass suicide-homicides are becoming more and more spectacular. These people are so full of themselves and want attention so bad, being deprived of it in their own lives, that they want to "go out with a bang", make the whole world focus on their pitiful little lives, even if for a moment, and the more spectacular their exit from the world, the more attention they get. Every aspiring homicidal maniac is watching the news today and seeing how much attention this nutjob has received, and they have it in the back if their minds that they will outdo him when they decide to kick the bucket. It boils down to pride: They think that their lives are so worthy of attention and admiration that, when they don't receive it, and are instead treated like everyone else, they can't bear it, and so they set out to "show the world" that they really are worthy of attention. This is how they get that attention.

--------------------

"There aint no creature in the land or sea quite as dear to me as the great kodo!"

+Quote Post
JohnnyTrio
post Apr 17 2007, 04:49 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 488

Ratings = Ads = $$$

--------------------

+Quote Post
Romily
post Apr 17 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Tristan @ Apr 16 2007, 07:34 PM) *
Canadian news vs US news... Do the math

Missed this one earlier. I don't know Canadian news so clue me in? (I think I can guess but I'd rather know I understand what you're saying ;) ).

/agree Oxhorn

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheGodfather
post Apr 17 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Romily @ Apr 17 2007, 02:08 PM) *
Missed this one earlier. I don't know Canadian news so clue me in? (I think I can guess but I'd rather know I understand what you're saying ;) ).

/agree Oxhorn

They don't base news off of bad shit happening in the world.

+Quote Post
VaudeVillian
post Apr 17 2007, 08:05 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Tristan @ Apr 17 2007, 09:17 AM) *
They don't base news off of bad shit happening in the world.

sounds good.
thats all news here is nowadays -.-
u never hear the stories of the heroes anymore.
just the villans.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheGodfather
post Apr 17 2007, 08:56 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (VaudeVillian @ Apr 17 2007, 09:05 PM) *
sounds good.
thats all news here is nowadays -.-
u never hear the stories of the heroes anymore.
just the villans.

I personally used a turn signal in california. THAT SHOULDA BEEN NEWS!

+Quote Post
Thundara
post Apr 18 2007, 01:47 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 170

QUOTE (VaudeVillian @ Apr 16 2007, 05:10 PM) *
to tell the story of someones life...or to say "WE HAVE A NEW WINNAR ON THE MOST KILLINGS! WHO IS GUNNA TRY NEXT?!?!?!?!!?!?!!?" are completely different in my book.

"Don't you think it's a bit disappointing, that, as Americans, our record is only 33 killed?"

+Quote Post
Darjk
post Apr 19 2007, 05:20 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 456

Surely its higher than that, or is that school shootings only?

For shootings ours is 35 I think, which brought in some of the toughest gun laws (in western societies). Schools on the other hand would be somewhere between 0 and 2 I reckon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elf
post Apr 22 2007, 05:48 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 90

The Port Arthur event in Aus. was indeed a pretty interesting one for gun politics.

As expected, the VA Tech incident over here has touched off various interest groups to start using it as leverage for anti-gun propaganda. Some of the funniest things I've seen have actually come from various European countries (presumably eager to feel good about their own firearms legislation), criticizing the 'U.S. gun culture' as the reason for these killings. I thought it was a crazed psychopath, but maybe that's just me.

The German magazine Bild claimed that it was easier to purchase a submachine gun in the U.S. than obtain a drivers license. I guess they forgot about the part where it not only requires a drivers license, but an ATF class III license, a 6 month waiting period, federal background check, expensive ATF tax stamp, that no guns made after 1986 can be bought or sold even with this license (creating a situation where the market for such guns causes even the simplest ones to cost many thousands of dollars), and is outright banned in many states no matter what.

Of course the current 'record' for mass murder at a school is currently held by a bomber, not a gunman, something the media seems to willfully overlook for the sake of sensationalism. And if you're not just talking about schools, those types of numbers aren't even in the running.

Oh well; what can you do about an industry that makes their money off of giving people things to worry about?

As for what can be done to prevent such violence, it would seem that societal changes are really the only answer. It isn't a problem you can legislate away no matter what you ban. As long as people are free to move about of their own will, there will always be opportunities for a deranged few to cause havok. Bleach and household cleaners can be turned into mustard gas with the knowledge of a first year chemistry student. Fertilizer can be made into a very potent bomb (OK bomber). Anyone with or without a drivers license could drive a car into a crowd of people, and so on.

But enough of the sensationalism. Quite honestly I think we've reached the point where these things are not big problems. 35 killed? By any standard, a tragedy, but what is that compared to the various wars going on, or the death toll from history not 200 years ago? The inquisition and crusades?

If we've reached a point in our lives when we have more to realistically fear from bad drivers on the road than being shot, stabbed, or beaten, violence is no longer a high ranking problem. What is all the fuss about? Certainly no reason to be yelling about eroding rights and sweeping institutional changes. One nut job slipped through the cracks. Let's move on.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 08:04 PM| Skin Developed By Creative Networks