Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> High Quality Recorder?
Enigma
post Nov 2 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

Hey all. I have FRAPS and I will admit it is a good recorder, but for some reason it seems to record at a very low resolution for me and I don't know why. I have it to record at Full-Size, and yet when I watch what I recorded..it looks very bad. I have all my WoW Settings to the Max and I know my PC is capable of producing higher-quality clips. So I was wondering if any of you could tell me how to increase the quality of FRAPS or point me to a higher quality recorder. Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sedrin of slashd...
post Nov 2 2007, 11:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 644

You mention both resolution and video quality, so keep in mind that these are two separate things: the former being simply how wide and tall the picture is, the latter usually referring to the appearance of compression artifacts. So we can't really tell you how to "increase the quality" until we know exactly what about your video appears "very bad". Is it just low resolution? Is it choppy/low frames per second? Does the captured video exhibit blurriness/compression artifacts? Some of those? Something else?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Enigma
post Nov 2 2007, 11:43 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Sedrin of slashdance @ Nov 2 2007, 03:35 PM) *
You mention both resolution and video quality, so keep in mind that these are two separate things: the former being simply how wide and tall the picture is, the latter usually referring to the appearance of compression artifacts. So we can't really tell you how to "increase the quality" until we know exactly what about your video appears "very bad". Is it just low resolution? Is it choppy/low frames per second? Does the captured video exhibit blurriness/compression artifacts? Some of those? Something else?

Ah, sorry about that.

The clips I record are just blurry. When I am actually in WoW playing or in Model Viewer, everything looks crisp and fine. But when I watch the recorded clip, it is very blurry and doesn't look anything like it didn't in "real time"

(btw, Hey Sedrin, its NineLives. We talked awhile back, sorry for just randomly leaving...PC just died and I just recently got it fixed.)

+Quote Post
Sedrin of slashd...
post Nov 3 2007, 04:01 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 644

Oh hey dude... I'll send you a PM, too, but first about this problem.

When you say blurry, do you mean like this? That looks like a compression issue, but the FRAPS codec is typically pretty good about being very close to uncompressed/original quality. Have you tried several different media players, and does it look exactly the same on all of them? My only guess to crazy compression issues would be a problem with the codec, so maybe an uninstall/reinstall of FRAPS is in order.

Also, are you certain you're watching it in its original resolution? If fullscreen in-game is 1024x768, for example, and fullscreen on your desktop is 1600x1200, then watching the captured video on your desktop fullscreen will stretch it a bit, and the interpolated pixels will be blurry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
taco
post Nov 3 2007, 10:08 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 662

I got the same problem once: recorded with fraps and the outcome was pixelated and all that. the solution was to change the resolution from 1280 down to 1152 in wow. don't know why my fraps couldnt handle any higher resolution but from there on it worked nicely.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Enigma
post Nov 3 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Sedrin of slashdance @ Nov 2 2007, 08:01 PM) *
Oh hey dude... I'll send you a PM, too, but first about this problem.

When you say blurry, do you mean like this? That looks like a compression issue, but the FRAPS codec is typically pretty good about being very close to uncompressed/original quality. Have you tried several different media players, and does it look exactly the same on all of them? My only guess to crazy compression issues would be a problem with the codec, so maybe an uninstall/reinstall of FRAPS is in order.

Also, are you certain you're watching it in its original resolution? If fullscreen in-game is 1024x768, for example, and fullscreen on your desktop is 1600x1200, then watching the captured video on your desktop fullscreen will stretch it a bit, and the interpolated pixels will be blurry.

Ah, I think I may have just been watching it in the wrong resolution.

Thanks alot everyone!

+Quote Post
nasda
post Nov 24 2007, 08:26 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,070

QUOTE (Enigma @ Nov 3 2007, 05:18 PM) *
Ah, I think I may have just been watching it in the wrong resolution.

Thanks alot everyone!

I am guessing you were using half-size ?

+Quote Post
BaronSoosdon
post Nov 24 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 489

1152x864 is the resolution which is the maximum for Fraps if you have a single-core processor on your computer. If you go anything above that the resolution gets halved when recording.

Dual-core processor systems do not have this problem.

--------------------
IRC -- #machinima @ Quakenet
Blog -- http://www.baronsoosdon.com
[Latest news about my on- and upcoming projects + random stuff!]

+Quote Post
Justin
post Nov 24 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 656

what about quad-core? :P

--------------------

+Quote Post
StoneFalconProdu...
post Nov 27 2007, 08:17 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 446

Also make sure you have the latest version of Fraps? I know it was changed a few months ago to handle higher resolutions.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th February 2019 - 12:12 AM| Skin Developed By Creative Networks