Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> i'm jrb, new to wow movies, but gaming movie old timer
jrb
post Sep 11 2007, 01:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 705

Hello. my name is jrb - or rather, jethro ryan brewin. I've been making game movies since 2002, but mainly focused on first person shooters, such as return to castle wolfenstein, quake3, and half life 2. When i started making movies i also set up one of the first game movie production teams called shaolin productions (shaolinproductions.org) which was focused on knowledge sharing, and work in progress feedback, rather than collaborative creations.

I'm 32, work in IT, and am based in London, England.

I got in to game movie production purely because i felt a lot of the movies being made for the games i loved and played were not so good - or rather not to my personal liking. I felt the movies i watched didn't offer the kind of creativity, or technical aspects that i thought could be employed in movies. Back then, things were very different from now.

some of the movies that i have made have done quite well with the community. Movies such as 4k.Revolution (a rtcw movie for professional gaming clan 4kings), and Tricking iT2 (for quake3 trick jump clan Infinite Trajectory) have gone on to win golden llama awards (a yearly oscar like award ceremony for gaming movies and machinima). These date back from 2004 / 2005, so for the past few years i've been wallowing in the pit of laziness that is playing wow, and of course, real life. ;)

I see that a lot of interesting movies for WoW have been coming out of the past couple of years, and these have definately peaked my interest in the medium for a couple of reasons.
a) frag or trick movies are not the same as machinima, although i have tried to include some rudamentary story telling techniques, and a lot of the technical and creative processes are the same - it would still be cool to do a full on machinma project
b) wow has really bad / restrictive tools, compared to the established and open engines like quake3 / source (halflife2) - that represents an interesting challenge.

having had a poke around on this forum i can see that there a lot of talented, creative, and dedicated people that post here, and i am coming round to thinking that i may like to rise to the challenge of making a wow movie of some sort, or at the very least dabble in new engines to see what can be done.

anyway, it's nice to meet you all
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jo
post Sep 11 2007, 05:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 642

Welcome to the site, Jrb!

--------------------
"We can't afford to be ashamed anymore.
We can't strap down our wings or hide
our strange eyes and brilliant minds."

+Quote Post
jrb
post Sep 11 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Jo @ Sep 11 2007, 06:44 PM) *
Months? ;) I think that's a bit liberal, but don't disagree that a healthy amount of preproduction can really solidify a piece. Personally, I feel the best WoW Machinima pieces arise from a solid foundation of story telling.

Welcome to the site, Jrb!

i kinda wonder what the edited comment said before the admin got to it, or at least what the flavour of the content was. :D

but based on jo's response i'd like to say that i'm not here to fire up a frag movie vs machinima debate. Both are subgenres of gaming movie. both are under-rated in traditional media, when done properly and well both can be valid art forms, and both need support and continued effort in their relative infancies.

anyway, hopefully that hasn't gotten me off to a bad start. heh.

+Quote Post
Jo
post Sep 11 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 642

QUOTE (jrb @ Sep 11 2007, 11:31 AM) *
i kinda wonder what the edited comment said before the admin got to it, or at least what the flavour of the content was. :D

but based on jo's response i'd like to say that i'm not here to fire up a frag movie vs machinima debate. Both are subgenres of gaming movie. both are under-rated in traditional media, when done properly and well both can be valid art forms, and both need support and continued effort in their relative infancies.

Lawlz. But I like to debate!

Anyway, I think it would take a lot more to get off on a bad start. ;) Again, welcome to the site. ^^

--------------------
"We can't afford to be ashamed anymore.
We can't strap down our wings or hide
our strange eyes and brilliant minds."

+Quote Post
TheGodfather
post Sep 11 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (jrb @ Sep 11 2007, 07:31 PM) *

Hey NO WORRIES AT ALL. It is better off edited. :)

Feel free to kick up debate and argue all you want here duhhh!!!

+Quote Post
TheGodfather
post Sep 11 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #6

Oh yeah!!! WELCOME!!! :P

+Quote Post
Drewbie
post Sep 11 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 490

Didn't Ishtar take forever to make?

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheGodfather
post Sep 11 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (jrb @ Sep 11 2007, 10:05 PM) *
get things knocked up

hehehe

+Quote Post
Oxhorn
post Sep 11 2007, 11:35 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 15

Welcome to the forums JRB!

--------------------

"There aint no creature in the land or sea quite as dear to me as the great kodo!"

+Quote Post
Dopefish
post Sep 12 2007, 11:01 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 282

Wow, I'm pleasantly suprised to see you here jrb! :biggrin:

Tricking iT2 is one of the best edited game movies I've ever seen, and it's the only Quake 3 movie I still got stored on my harddrive. For anyone here that haven't watched it, you should give it a chance, even if you're not into Quake 3. Speaking about Golden Llamas, I only got several nominations but didn't win in any of the categories :dry:

Join in #machinima @ quakenet and we can discuss some of the current WoW machinima techniques and what's being worked on :cool:

+Quote Post
jrb
post Sep 12 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Dopefish @ Sep 12 2007, 12:01 PM) *
Tricking iT2 is one of the best edited game movies I've ever seen, and it's the only Quake 3 movie I still got stored on my harddrive.

aww shucks. :wub:

Speaking about Golden Llamas, I only got several nominations but didn't win in any of the categories :dry:

that may be partly my fault.. i was on the chair for voting in the 2005 golden llamas.. i've not been contacted about the 2006 GLs, so not even sure if there are any. shame if not. So sorry if you didn't get win. there were a lot of really great movies that i had to watch. it's really quite sadenning to have to sit through that much quality, because the stuff people were knocking out even back then was far better than most of the stuff i could do.

Join in #machinima @ quakenet and we can discuss some of the current WoW machinima techniques and what's being worked on :cool:

I'll have to do that, since the #shaolinproductions channel is on the same network - not that i'm there that often.
I'm interested in replacing the camera scripts that exist in mpq's, or some other techniques for re-camming the game, that don't require recreating everything in 3dsmax, so it'd be cool to have a chat about that as i see from the forum that you've done some work on that.

as for me, the only thing i've done in wow, so far is some uber high resolution panoramas.http://picasaweb.google.com/jethrobrewin/W...rcraftPanoramas

+Quote Post
TheGodfather
post Sep 12 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #12

To discuss the preproduction stuff please post here:

http://www.machinima101.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=792

+Quote Post
Romily
post Sep 16 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (jrb @ Sep 12 2007, 08:34 AM) *
as for me, the only thing i've done in wow, so far is some uber high resolution panoramas.http://picasaweb.google.com/jethrobrewin/W...rcraftPanoramas

Ahhhh! You're appealing to the explorer gamer in me! WoW is such a pretty game!

Err... uh... Yeah! Machinima! ;)

Welcome, jrb!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2019 - 12:21 PM| Skin Developed By Creative Networks