IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Perfect Computer, If you could get anything, what would it be?
Oxhorn
post Jan 1 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

I might have an opportunity here to get a computer to do machinima on, and I'd like your advice on what to ask for. Right now I make all my machinima on a dinky little laptop that I bought in 2004, and I really haven't been in the computer market since then.

So, what should I get? Is there a pre-assembled computer that would be perfect for heavy-duty machinima making, or should I build my own, and if I should build my own, what should I be sure to get? I'd prefer a computer ready-made that will be able to withstand the heavy demands of running multiple applications (premiere, AE, photoshop, WoW, fraps) with no lag.

Also, I'm sure I'll need some Adobe Products. Premiere, AE and Photoshop being a must. What others should I require? Encore and Soundbooth?

What about Ultra?

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuit...oduction/ultra/

Is it something I should bother with?

Thankee much!

--------------------

"There aint no creature in the land or sea quite as dear to me as the great kodo!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Justin
post Jan 2 2008, 10:40 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 656

I don't think it's a big secret, that Mac's rule the world of production. So in your place I'd get on of the hi-end iMacs or a Mac Pro. I was also wondering about how the MacBook Pro will do the job, but it's quite expensive alternative. But for Windows, all you need is dual/quad core cpu with 2-3gigs of ram and one of 8 series geforces (8600 or 8800). I bought one for myself recently:
-Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad LGA775 2.40/1066FSB/8MB BX80562Q6600
-Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS Quad-Core/nForce650i SLI/FSB1333/4xDualDDRII-800/3xPCI-E x16/1xPCI-E x1/2xPCI/1xATA/6xSATAII, RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5, Dual GB-E LAN, 8ch SupremeFX Audio, 2xIEEE 1394a, ATX
-Asus EN8600GTS SILENT/HTDP/256M 8600GTS/256MB DDR3/PCI-E/128-bit/HDTV, DUAL DVI, VGA, TV-out, HDCP /Engine 675MHz/Memory 2GHz (1000MHz DDR3)
-Fortron Blue Storm II 500W (24pin) ATX12V v2.2, 25dBA (silent 120mm FAN) High efficiency PFC PSU, Retail Packing
-KINGMAX 4GB (2x2GB) DDRII PC2-6400 DDR800 Retail BOX,User Manual, FBGA chips (Lifetime warr.)
-Samsung HD500LJ, 500GB, 7200rpm, 8MB, SATA II 300Mb/s, NCQ

It all went in around 1200$, Mac would go you twice as expensive. And you know, I'm pretty satisfied with results. Finally I've been granted a possibility to capture in HD and work with it without pain in the arse. After Effects simply loves my new hardware :)

Talking about Adobe, I've got all Production Premium Suite with Ultra, Encore and Soundbooth. I didn't find Ultra as very usefull. IMO it's something for low-budget school projects or some news. Because of it's size, I don't use it. However for some comedies, rarely it can be used. Encore is a must-have if you're working with DVDs, but that isn't mine as well. And Soundbooth is extremely user-friendly sound editor specially based for voicing and composing for a movie, I enjoy working in it :)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oxhorn
post Jan 4 2008, 09:30 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15

Awesome, thanks man! this really helps me out :)

--------------------

"There aint no creature in the land or sea quite as dear to me as the great kodo!"

+Quote Post
Pinkhair
post Jan 5 2008, 03:27 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 849

I don't like Macs for a variety of reasons(though the impending dominance of vista is likely to change my mind soon).

Anyway, biggest thing you need is ram. Tons of ram. Ram on your system, ram on your video card.

Also, though it's not as big an issue as it once was, make sure that, if you buy a video card designed for high end work, that it will run games like WoW- my previous computer was a beast of a renderer, but it didn't support hardware TNL, so warcraft refused to run on it despite all other system requirements being easily surpassed(without annoying, fiddly software emulation hacks that blizzard tended to patch against). This was well over a year ago, but it's something to watch out for anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fízzles
post Jan 10 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,321

Yes, i agree with him/her. Ram is good and the Mac isnt cool. any good, modern pc will do (even your dainty little laptop will do) as long as you have Ram. Ram is good. Ram is VERY good. Like i always say, A Ram may be a smelly, overgrown sheep the drunken dwarfs ride to get around, but without it, how could we make machinima?

-Fízzles, High on Peacebloom Productions

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2019 - 08:49 AM| Skin Developed By Creative Networks