Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DivX Codec Questions
Lawladin
post Mar 22 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,202

Hello everyone, I have some questions about the Divx Codec(ver. 6.8).

Alright, so I open up DivX codec and I'm in the "main" tab.

At the bottom of the window, I see "rate control".

Which should I select? 1-pass quality-based, 1-pass, etc? And should I change their default settings to something else? Also, if there are any other settings I should change with the codec besides rate control, please let me know.

Even though this is machinima 101 forum, I guess I should say I'm compressing my machinima with the codec.

Thanks everyone.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Forgotten Light
post Mar 22 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 676

Every time someone releases a movie in .divx Elune murders a baby penguin. Please, think of the penguins.

--------------------

"There is only one stupid question. And it is 'How do I make it so that...' Please. Never ask it."

I hate the .divx format. I hate machinima.com. I hate them both for the exact same reason.

"If answerers elude you, it is likely you are asking the wrong questions." - Some old dude.

+Quote Post
Lawladin
post Mar 23 2008, 03:39 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,202

QUOTE (Forgotten Light @ Mar 22 2008, 04:47 PM) *
Every time someone releases a movie in .divx Elune murders a baby penguin. Please, think of the penguins.

?? Found this a little confusing. The movie file is still in .avi format after I compress it with the DivX codec. Or are you just saying DivX is a bad compressor? If so, what would you reccomend?

+Quote Post
Forgotten Light
post Mar 24 2008, 01:59 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 676

QUOTE (Lawladin @ Mar 22 2008, 07:39 PM) *
?? Found this a little confusing. The movie file is still in .avi format after I compress it with the DivX codec. Or are you just saying DivX is a bad compressor? If so, what would you reccomend?

Oh just venting a little bit. To answer your question...

Xvid and DivX, while sounding similar, and functioning similar, are different in that Xvid is freeware, and DivX is proprietary. .avi in with the divx codec is fairly common now, but there will still be a slightly larger number of people who will be able to view your movie if its compressed with Xvid or some other codec. (Whereas with the .dvix format, a significant percentage of viewers wont be able to watch, hence the memme)

I'm not sure I can help with your original question though. :confused:

--------------------

"There is only one stupid question. And it is 'How do I make it so that...' Please. Never ask it."

I hate the .divx format. I hate machinima.com. I hate them both for the exact same reason.

"If answerers elude you, it is likely you are asking the wrong questions." - Some old dude.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2019 - 12:24 PM| Skin Developed By Creative Networks