IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Video Tutorial]Sony Vegas Tutorial #1: Chroma Keying with WoW Model Viewer, My first video tutorial.
WGSXFrank
post Aug 18 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 522

Hey guys. I have just uploaded my very first Sony Vegas video tutorial to Stage6. In it, I show how to correctly capture animation footage from WoW Model Viewer. I then Show how to use that captured video with Chroma Keying in Sony Vegas to place your character on a custom background.

I hope that this tutorial can help out those of you who have been wondering how exactly to do this in Vegas.

Sony Vegas Tutorial #1: Chroma Keying with WoW Model Viewer

If you have any suggestions or critiques on the tutorial, please feel free to let me know. I may redo this tutorial sometime soon based on suggestions. Also, If there is a tutorial you would like to see, let me know! I'll try to add a new tutorial at least once every two weeks. I will be going through all the basics of WoW machinima over the next two months.

NOTE: I recorded this tutorial at 5:00AM while running on no sleep at all. If you find anything that you feel i skipped or didn't explain clearly, please let me know so i can fix it. I hope you enjoy the tutorial!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Telemora
post Aug 18 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 34

I think that was a pretty good. It was simple so it'll be easy to understand for people. The footage was a little laggy though. Perhaps due to the program you were recording the desktop stuff with? You might want to get some sleep before you record too, you don't want to sound bored with it or anything. The good thing about that tutorial is you could easily do an advanced one to talking about lighting and making the characters blend with the background more or get into moving footage. Good start, looking forward to more!

--------------------
Matt/Tedman/Telemora

www.origofilms.com

+Quote Post
WGSXFrank
post Aug 18 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Telemora @ Aug 18 2007, 07:19 PM) *
I think that was a pretty good. It was simple so it'll be easy to understand for people. The footage was a little laggy though. Perhaps due to the program you were recording the desktop stuff with? You might want to get some sleep before you record too, you don't want to sound bored with it or anything. The good thing about that tutorial is you could easily do an advanced one to talking about lighting and making the characters blend with the background more or get into moving footage. Good start, looking forward to more!

Thank you for the comment!

I tried to keep it relatively simple. As I said, I just want to get the basics out there before I move on to tutorials featuring more advanced techniques. The lag is from the program I am using, but I don't feel it is that big of a deal as long as i talk and show everything in a slow and steady pace. The advanced tutorials are coming as soon as I get a few more "basic" tutorials out there. The next tutorial will be a basic walk through on how to crop/pan in Vegas

Thanks again for the comment and critique! I'll try to get a better frame rate on the next one. I'll also use a nice big bright cursor next time as well with click indicators. :)

--------------------

+Quote Post
genestarwind
post Aug 20 2007, 05:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 681

Hey that was very simple to do, I just have one question. Im new to Vegas and I was wondering how do you get the clip to go on either track 1 or track 2. At the moment its keeps adding to both tracks. Is there something I can do?

--------------------
ITs a hard life for a Movie maker, But the reward at the end is worth it!

+Quote Post
Dead Workers Par...
post Aug 20 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 51

Nice tutorial! Short and sweet. :)

I do have a suggestion though. Using the default settings on the Chroma Keyer filter will rarely give the best results. I understand the tutorial is for basic technique, but I think it's important to explain how powerful the alpha image is when keying footage.

Here is my footage, ready to be keyed for pure green.

Here are the default settings for the Chroma Keyer.

Here is the result:

There are problems with this key. First, there are slightly transparent areas in character. These might not be apparent with a still image, but when he moves around, it's quite apparent. This can be easily fixed by looking at the alpha image. Check the "Show Mask Only" box to view it. Below is the alpha image that is used to key the footage. All white pixels will be opaque, all black pixels will be transparent, and shades of grey will be semi-transparent.

This is an easy fix. Simply adjust the contrast on the alpha image by adjusting both ends of the luminance spectrum. Increase the Low threshold while decreasing the High threshold until the spectrum is super narrow.

The alpha mask is nice and clean.

Here is the result of the chroma key.

--------------------
Eric Fullerton
DEAD WORKERS PARTY

Check out our many fine podcasts!

+Quote Post
WGSXFrank
post Aug 20 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #6

What you said is true. I did only stick with the basic though.

Also, if you noticed, I used pure green "r:0 g:255 b:0" and I also used the pure green key (settings 0 255 0), whereas you used the regular green. Since there was no pure green on the model i used, I decided to just keep it basic and let it go at that. Maybe I'll add a segment about alpha soon though. It is a powerful utility that makes a world of difference. I'm going to be redoing this tutorial soon anyways. I made a nice little intro sequence that I'm going to put on the front of all my tutorials haha xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dopefish
post Aug 23 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 282

QUOTE (Dead Workers Party @ Aug 20 2007, 07:59 PM) *

(Old crappy remake: http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7875/funnyek1.jpg)

+Quote Post
Dead Workers Par...
post Aug 24 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (WGSXFrank @ Aug 20 2007, 06:02 PM) *
Also, if you noticed, I used pure green "r:0 g:255 b:0" and I also used the pure green key (settings 0 255 0), whereas you used the regular green.

Oh man, you're right. I guess I did it fast and used the wrong one. No wonder the key was so horrible.

Dopefish: Nice coloring and DOF! :)

--------------------
Eric Fullerton
DEAD WORKERS PARTY

Check out our many fine podcasts!

+Quote Post
Dopefish
post Aug 24 2007, 05:48 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 282

QUOTE (Dead Workers Party @ Aug 24 2007, 12:46 AM) *
Dopefish: Nice coloring and DOF! :)
Thanks. It's easy for a still image, but would probably need alot more work if it was actually animated. But then again, I'm sure you guys can easily do color correction, DoF and shadows already anyhow :thumbsup:

DoF is sure alot easier to make when you got the Z-buffer image:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th August 2020 - 10:18 PM| Skin Developed By Creative Networks