Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Machinima and Programmers
Darjk
post Mar 31 2007, 05:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 456

Was reading this article the other week and this is spot on, in my opinion.

(can read the full thing from http://www.hdri3d.com/xtra/albee/ )

Excerpt:
We need not be limited by the tools we've been given. In most hands-on fields of art, artists create or commission special-purpose tools all the time. "Use the right tool for the job," is a mantra I've heard hundreds of times from mentors who've instructed everything from oil painting to flute-making.

The experience of working with Mac was incredibly positive. His art-form was that of computer code. He understood my needs, wants and wishes for this tool, and oftentimes had implemented requests into the program within a day.

Over the course of working together, Mac also gained a solid understanding of the inner workings of feature-quality facial animation and often developed solutions from his own experience and background I would never have thought of.

Would I recommend others to seek out talented, dedicated programmers with which to partner in the creation of tools that work in ways they've always thought 3D CGI should? You bet your ASCII!

By not accepting the status-quo and by making available to others the tools your partnership creates, you make this field better and more enjoyable for everyone! (Artists, programmers, and audiences alike!)

I'm sure some of you have already got someone on board or talented enough to be both creative and a programmer, but for those of you who haven't you should look into it :) One example is by http://www.strangecompany.org/ who has a few programmers on board that are able to build scripts/mods for games to make the films.

--Darjk.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
StoneFalconProdu...
post Mar 31 2007, 06:18 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 446

QUOTE (Darjk @ Mar 30 2007, 10:23 PM) *
I'm sure some of you have already got someone on board or talented enough to be both creative and a programmer, but for those of you who haven't you should look into it :) One example is by http://www.strangecompany.org/ who has a few programmers on board that are able to build scripts/mods for games to make the films.

--Darjk.

Hey, we have you, don't we? :biggrin:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dead Workers Par...
post Mar 31 2007, 06:42 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 51

What an inspirational article!

I can relate to this entirely. As both scientific and artistic, I have the wildest time merging the two. A professional software developer for 10 years, and making movies for 22 years, I've done a lot of development to aid in my filmmaking. From 2D & 3D motion trackers to video editing and compositing plugins. Once I found the WoW ModelViewer, I downloaded the source and tried to compile it. I was unsuccessful due to the amount of 3rd party components that I just couldn't find the time to install. I was going to add some new functionality to it myself, because I was unsure that you were still developing it. Now I'm glad to hear that you're on a roll with it.

Not related to machinima, but I can relate to your involvement with the machinima community as a developer. For years I developed a compiler that would allow anyone to script a Sierra adventure game, called AGI Studio. Remember the old King's Quest, Space Quest and Police Quest games (not to mention Leisure Suit Larry!)? Those are the games I have fond memories of being totally addicted to in the 80's. I vowed to teach myself and to someday work at Sierra. The sad ending is that Sierra folded and sold the company, never to make another adventure game. The happy ending is that I DID learn to develop software and skipped out early in highschool to make money doing it. While developing AGI Studio, I never made my own game, which happened to be the point of developing the software in the first place. Instead, I helped an entire community create their games. I would be the front-man for everyone's needs, and I had a lot of fun with it and kept pushing the technology as far as I could take it.

By the way, I've been thinking of making a WoW adventure game, anyone interested in doing some art? Or maybe just making a WoW movie in the style of an old Sierra adventure game. Just a thought.

--------------------
Eric Fullerton
DEAD WORKERS PARTY

Check out our many fine podcasts!

+Quote Post
Darjk
post Mar 31 2007, 08:04 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 456

Ahh Jun, but my tools are general purpose, non-specific :)
Btw finally experienced the red water bug (in mapviewer) you mentioned while working on some minor changes to it - will need to fix that one day now that I can actually see it for myself, in the mean time disabling shaders with F7 does the trick. For those curious on the minor changes can download the updated exe from http://www.wowmodelviewer.org/wowmapview.zip

Just a few minor things like changing the FOV with page up and down, and right mouse click changes the cameras direction, while left mouse click 'mouse looks' - similar to in-game. Also compiled it with optimisations turned on for Pentium4 with SSE2 instructions so if you don't have those it may crash on startup.

Dead Workers Party, yeah its a great article. Its even better that they we're able to put together an application professional enough to make financial gains from ti. I noticed in your profile it mentioned Software Programmer and was interested why you hadn't worked on modifying either map viewer/model viewer, but you are definitely right - all the 3rd party stuff is a pain to compile that first time. Once you've built wxWidgets the rest of its pretty straight forward though. wxAUI is also now built into wxWidgets aswell so thats another 3rd party lib don't have to worry about. With this UMU project I'm going to be trying to limit the use of 3rd party stuff with the exception to wxWidgets (its so much better than MFC).

You really do have a gift though, being both a creative and logical thinker - its not easy as much as I've tried to get into doing web graphics, 3D Modelling, etc.
Here were some of my better attempts like 4 years ago.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/Darjk/hand_back.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/Dar...n_Pistol_01.jpg

But yeah, moral of the article if you know some programmers - doesn't hurt to ask if they're interested and making some custom tools for you :)

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheGodfather
post Mar 31 2007, 08:53 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2

grr you always throw good updates and downloads into threads hvaing to do nothing withthe topic!! STOP THAT! put this in a helpful tools topic :P

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2019 - 12:44 PM| Skin Developed By Creative Networks